What is a Specialist Allergist & Immunologist?

They have completed years of specialised education & training to achieve a deeper understanding of the human immune system and provide expert advice to patients.

After attending Medical School and graduating as a doctor, they enter into a rigorous training program within large teaching hospitals for over six years.

This, coupled with specialist examinations in all fields of medicine leads to Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP).

Specialists are not only recognised for their unique knowledge and experience, but also their ongoing commitment to remain up to date within their field, and provide relevant & tailored advice to patients.

Things to look for when choosing your Allergy Specialist 

1) Check that your allergist is listed on the Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology & Allergy (ASCIA) website - how to locate a specialist

2) Look at the letters after your doctor's name. These tell you what postgraduate qualifications or specialist training your doctor has undertaken. It can be confusing as they will vary depending on where your Allergy Specialist trained. If they trained in Australia or New Zealand look for the letters FRACP (Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians)they will also have a medical degree(e.g. MBBS, MBChB). 

If they are trained in the UK look for FRCP.  In America the equivalent terminology is "board certified Allergist .

3) As with other medical specialists, a referral from your GP or doctor is required to see a Specialist Allergist.

How to make an appointment.